Wednesday, April 23, 2008

jung


Jung is my one and only female roomie and my friend spotlight this week. We lived on 7th between 1st and A in the East Village. We also worked together at Rockstar Games. Because I have swimmer's ear, I have to wear ear plugs in the shower. One time I showered and for some reason, one of the ear plugs fell into my ear canal. I was so freaked out, I waited all night for Jung to get home to see if she could dig it out, but she didn't. We didn't have cell phones back then. I ended up poking around with tweezers and finally fished it out. I did get sick once and Jung stayed home and made me the best ginger jook I have ever eaten. Jung and I never had any furniture in the apartment, with the exception of our beds. We used to watch VH1 shows about the Red Hot Chili Peppers, wishing John Frusciante would kick his heroin habit and be cute again. We also had a backyard that we didn't utilize nearly as much as we should have. We did have random bouts of Monopoly and I did befriend a huge black squirrel I later named, Spoonie. Jung now lives in SF and works with me again. Funny how life is.

How long have you known me?
My memory is so terrible these days, since the beginning of Rockstar, what is that like 10 + years ago. Damn, that seems like yesterday.

Do you ever miss NYC?
Sometimes, but I miss NYC in a different way, not as a place, but the memories of a place and time which doesn't really exist anymore. As a place that is constantly in flux, when you move away from it, it's bound to happen. But the 70's and 80's of the boroughs of NYC will always be the most special place to me. I learned so much, so much more than any academic education can give me. I learned the dirty, nasty parts of people as well as the best. I miss NY'ers though. No sugar coatin', tell it like it is. What the F you lookin at?! Say it to my face! They will also come together in ways no other diverse place can. Love it or leave it. I love it and left it.


Name 3 places you like to eat in NYC and 3 places in SF.
Tsampa (best Tibetan food) I will lick the plate clean. It's great to walk in, and remove the NY stress away while you eat.
Kum Gan San (Korean on 33rd and In Queens) Korean BBQ at it nearly best (best is in LA Chosun Galbi)
Tie- Mamouns Falafel and Punjabi (quick Indian where most of the customers are Indian cab drivers, $2 for Channa Masala YUM)
and of course the NY slice is the best! whatever Chicago- can I have some sauce with that brick!- although in my experience its best to switch up the places- sometimes they're good, sometimes they slack!

How many games of Monopoly did you win against me?
Probably none! I think we also gave up halfway most of the time ;) You notice though, that game brings out the dirty side of some of my friends...I feign that I'm sleepy.

Wasn't Tim Gunn your teacher?
He was the Head of the Fashion Dept. Saw him lots- he is as impeccible on TV as he is in real life. You can take an ironing board to his back and its the same.

What's the best fashion advice you are going to give to your daughter Sophie?
Please, tighter don't mean better. And no dockers. She will turn against me and turn into a young republican!

Bhutan or Paris?
Both, soon! Oh I can dream....

When you went to Thailand, did you learn anything interesting?
Everything- happiness! Trecked my ass for days along the same trade route to Burma. I thought I was a trooper until I met random people along the path that were 90 years old, carrying a 50lb bag of rice on their head. My guide wore flips flops the whole time.
Kup Kun Ka! Watched a beautiful daily Buddhist procession on a mountaintop in Chaing Mai. At sundown the village does a meditative walk around the grounds. They walk with complete mindfulness, heel to toe, heel to toe, slowly, quietly and softly. At the end of the procession several monks were preparing their meal for the night. I have the panoramic photo of it. It was just breathtaking.

1 comment:

w_layne_h said...

all that wishing for john frusciante to kick the H worked. he is more awesome than ever! have you heard any of his 11 solo albums? absolutely amazing stuff.