Tuesday, April 1, 2008

chick soup

A whole roasted chicken is amazing. When I was in my late teens and financially challenged, I would roast a bird to last all week. For example, I would make chicken sandwiches, chicken fried rice, and chicken stock. After getting a chicken from Thomas on Saturday, I carved it up, saved some meat, and made some stock for Wednesday night's Chick Soup Dinner. It's really simple stock recipe:

water
chicken carcass
1 carrot
2 celery
herb bunch (this can be an assortment of rosemary, thyme, sage, etc)
salt and pepper
onions

Stick everthing in a stock pot and fill it with water until cover. Boil, then reduce to a simmer. I prefer to cook this for about 6 hours. When it's done, take all the solid bits and dump in the compost bin. You can divide up the stock in individual tupperware bowls and store in the freezer until you need it.

Chicken Soup:
2 qts chicken stock
3 cups leftover chicken meat
1 cup rice
2 cups of uncooked pasta (or cooked pasta- this will make your cooking time shorter)

Now, typically I would throw in any left over veggies, like carrots, kale, cabbage, etc, but Jersey wanted it plain and simple.



Boil the stock, then add pasta, and cook until al dente (usually 10 minutes for uncooked, 4 minutes for cooked). Add the meat and rice at the very last 2 minutes.

I garnished the soup with fleur de sel, cracked pepper, and a drizzle of very good extra virgin olive oil.

No comments: