Tuesday, May 11, 2010

foreign rags

I am cutting back on the amount of magazines and books I buy. 1) to save money 2) to save trees 3) to save space in my house

My favorite two magazines will still be kept on hand. Today, I went to the post office to pick up my copy of Lula, a British girly fashion magazine. I say girly 'cause it's always shot with overblown lights, dreamy, and whimsical stylings. In this issue Kirsten Dunst interviews the creator of Strawberry Shortcake.

My other favorite is Fudge. Another fashion magazine from Japan.

I love the way both these magazines feel, the weight of the paper, the touch of the toothiness, the smell of the press. I also like the contrast of ads for each market. For example Marc Jacobs' near front cover ad in Lula is with the Juergen Teller photos, delicate, simple with a ballerina modeling the clothes. The Fudge ad is for the Marc by Marc Jacobs brand showing crazy colors and patterns with oversize bows in the models' hair. They are both very hard to find, which makes buying them half the fun.

No comments: