Thursday, April 22, 2010

beans in brownies?


I had some adzuki beans, honey, and chocolate sitting around and I decided to make brownies. Yes, it's odd, but using honey instead of sugar and beans instead of flour not only cuts your calories, but it's better for you! Check out my recipe:

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter cut in cubes at room temp
2 cups canned adzuki bean
1/2 cup almond meal
1.5 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
4 large eggs
1 cups honey (I use Star Thistle)
1/2 cup of walnuts roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Melt the chocolate and butter double boiler. When melted, stir the bowl in the middle until the chocolate has mixed well with the butter.

Place the beans, almond meal, the vanilla extract, and a 1/4 cup of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl. I used my stick blender to get it smooth. I am sure a food processor or a blender will work just as well.

In a larger bowl, mix together the walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until light and creamy (I used my Kitchen Aid, but you can use a hand mixer). Add the honey and beat well.
Add the bean mixture to the chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well. Then add the egg mixture until all blended.

Place in your greased pan and bake for about 35 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: